Your oral health can greatly affect not only your physical look, but your self-confidence as well. To make sure that you are always ready to face anyone, here are some reminders to keep your teeth, gums and mouth healthy.
- Always choose wisely what you eat and drink. The simple rule is this: the darker the food or drink is, the more likely it can stain the teeth. Since you cannot avoid everything, the best thing to do is to brush your teeth right away. It will also be useful to use a safe bleaching agent.
- Eating an apple is a good way to clean your teeth naturally. Aside from apple, you can also consume raw celery or carrots. They are known as detergent foods because of their ability to remove dirt from your teeth.
- Baking soda can also help in removing teeth stains too. You can use it like toothpaste. Just make sure to spit it out after you gargle.
- Stop smoking. Aside from bad breath, smoking is also a popular culprit for stained teeth. This vice is also linked to numerous respiratory problems such as lung cancer. Each cigarette contains thousands of toxins that you inhale into your body.
- Change your toothbrush regularly. According to experts, it should be changed at least every two months. Your toothbrush accumulates bacteria, which can be transferred to your mouth during brushing.
- Use just enough amount of fluoride to strengthen the enamel of your teeth. If you water does not contain fluoride, it will be best to talk to your dentist on what you can do about it. He/she may suggest manual fluoride application if necessary.
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes each time. It is also important to know the correct brushing technique. If you want to know if you are doing it correctly, you can ask your dentist or just check out videos online.
- The most important times to brush your teeth is right after you wake-up and before you go back to bed at night.
- Floss your teeth regularly. Flossing can prevent the formation of tooth decay because it will remove trapped food particles in between the teeth.
- Aside from flossing, it will also be helpful to use mouthwash. This will help in reducing the bacteria in your mouth.
- Follow a well-balanced diet. Your diet should include calcium-rich foods such as cheese, almonds, green leafy vegetables and tofu.
- Don’t forget to give attention to your tongue when brushing your teeth. You can use a tongue scraper to remove plaque build-up. One of the most common causes of bad breath is actually the bacteria build-up in your tongue, so scraping it will definitely help.
Your oral health is an important facet of your over-all wellness. If you do not take good care of your teeth, gums and mouth, you will be at risk of developing more health diseases. Moreover, it can also affect the way you carry yourself in front of other people.